Tuesday, March 24, 2009

SharePoint Content Deployment Wizard + APIs

Deployment of SharePoint artifacts is something that's perhaps more complex than it should be, and the standard tools provided don't always simplify this picture. Personally, over my past few MOSS projects, there have been several times when I've thought:
I just need to move this document library from A to B
I just need to move these selected files (e.g. master page, page layouts, CSS etc.) from A to B
I just need to move this web from A to B
I just need to move this site collection from A to B
I just need to move these 20 list items from A to B

Here is the answer to all the questions...
You can directly download it from CodePlex
==============API Base Approach=============
Stefan Goßner posted a great series of posts about the Content Migration API (formerly known as PRIME) for SharePoint (WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007). In just 5 post he explains everything about this API and where SharePoint uses it. It's an excellent start point for many SharePoint administrators and developers out there. I also refer to this post in my training's about SharePoint as well.
Deep Dive Into the SharePoint Content Deployment and Migration API - Part 1
Providing some real world samples on export - Part 2
Providing some real world samples on import - Part 3
Advanced content deployment scenarios - Part 4
Avoiding common problems - Part 5




No comments: