Sunday, May 16, 2010

Search Crawling Stops or The parameter is incorrect in sharepoint search

This is one of the worst problem I came across. :(

I don't blame Microsoft for this, but I can say a wrong governance model is the reason for this.

Problem: My client complaint that a new item added on the site is not comes under a search result since last few days. I spent lot of a time to find out the real cause. When I have gone through the Search Crawling log an error is found saying "The parameter is incorrect in sharepoint search". When I checked for all the other sites on the farm all are working fine with search and none of the site has given such error at the time of crawling. That has increased my curiosity.

After spending a full day at last I found a reason and its a cause for small party ;), thanks to Mattias Lindberg

Solution: The reason which stops the crawling for the site is the user we have added in the site are more than 5000 in a particular group instead of adding an AD Group.

I am just copying the workaroung given by Mattias below.

Our solution was to require sites with over 1500 members to use an AD group for keeping track of membership, as recommended by the KB for SPS 2003. One disadvantage with this approach is that you must maintain membership by updating the AD group so you can no longer request membership using SharePoint standard dialogs.

Probably an article is wriiten for SPS 2003 but infect it is applied to MOSS 2007 as well.

No comments: